Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summer Calendar

Hope you all had a fabulous weekend.

Quick Side note: If your a follower in AZ I pray that your nowhere near the devastating fires and if you are or know someone who is, my prayers are with you and your family.

Such a sad site to watch every night on the news.

On to the project. . . So two things happened with this 'little' project here.

#1 I highly underestimated how big/ long of a project it was and #2 I messed up my little 'date' stars big time which = to even more time.

*Oh and sorry ahead of time for the crappy pictures, I decided to hang it right in my laundry room area and no natural light shines in there so hence the blah pictures.

But here she is . .

I started out want to come up with an idea to display all the fun stuff I had planned for the boys during the summer, initially my idea was just to come up with something small to hang on our fridge but nothing I could think of 'worked'. So last week when I was spring cleaning, I came across this huge piece of sheet metal (2.5 ft by 3 ft) and off went my crafty light bulb.

I used my Cricut to cut out the days of the week with vinyl and used strips of vinyl to make my calendar grid.

Next problem was how to display the numbers for the days. . I first I wanted to used bottle caps but we don't drink anything with bottle caps and I didn't really want to wait to 'collect' them . . I'm not a sit-and-wait- patiently kind of girl. So off to Joann's I went, where I found these adorable little wood stars for $4.29 (plus a 40% off coupon) and even better than came in a pack of 30 . . score ! I attached a magnet to the back and mod podge the number on the front.

So what happened to the stars you ask ... well I tried to use mod podge dimensional and I've never used this stuff before and now was not the time to test it out, especially since I didn't have any extra stars to spare (pack of 30 remember ??) Well, I obviously need a lesson in how to use this stuff because I ruined 10 of my stars big time.. again I need a lesson because I don't know if I used to much or to little but they dried all bubbly and had air holes, bottom line they looked horrible. . . Back to Joann's I went for another Star pack, this time only mod podging! While I was at Joanns I hunted around for something to use to represent whatever I had planned for our summer days. I found exactly what I was looking for in the wood craft aisle, There were tons of already made little wood pieces and than right next to those were raw -wood squares, circles, ovals, stars etc.

First thing I grabbed was the Elephant perfect to represent our trips to the Zoo,I grabbed a few more already made ones but for the most part ended up grabbing a bunch of the raw wood shapes and painted them once I got home, while I was waiting for them to dry, I wrote down a list of some things I had planned, picked and choose which ones to make magnets for. Used the Cricut to cut out simple words and mod podge them onto the painted wood pieces of the already made ones.

Below are pictures of all the magnets I ended up with . . I even made some to represent the events we attend with our play group, Meetup Moms of Tucson. (A rubber duck is our mascot)
I loved how it turned out and the boys love checking it out for our 'fun for the day' as Taelor calls it . . I love all the magnets and cant wait to make more for future holidays and other events.
Happy Crafting !!

21 comments:

Marana Gray said...

This calendar is AMAZING and so cute too w/the magnets!!!

Heather said...

This is an amazing calendar! I love it! I want one!!

OurForeverHouse said...

I love this! Did you make your own magnet board? If so, I want a tutorial - or atleast have you come with me to the store! These would be awesome in the kids rooms. I don't want them to have push pins so cork is out!

Lori

Kelli W said...

What a great calendar! I need to get a few of those shapes to add to ours for the summer!

Bec@littlelucylu said...

I think this is so great!
I'm going to feature it on my blog on Friday, if you don't mind!?
~Bec
www.littlelucylu.com

Digital Scrapbooking Made Easy said...

Super cute idea!

Whit said...

wow! I am amazed and LOVE this calendar and all the cute magnets you made I pinned it for sure :) I found you through a linky party! Come and say hi, enter my giveaway and vote for my picture. Thank you.

A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

This is such a cute idea! Love it!

Wendy said...

Love this idea! I think it looks adorable!

Jen said...

Wow! Wonderful job. I'm stopping over from link up at Smilemonsters.

Jen
http://raisingcreativeandcuriouskids.blogspot.com/2011/06/summer-activity-board.html

Antonella said...

What a fantastic idea!!! So glad I followed your link from the Crafty Soiree... I've also linked up if you want to stop by...
Hugs, antonella :-)
My link: http://quilling.blogspot.com/2011/06/filigree-friday-free-fathers-day-badges.html

Tracy said...

I LOVE this! And the magnets are beyond adorable - I might have to make some of those for my (store bought-hangs her head in shame) magnetic calendar! ; )

Jennifer said...

I love this! What a great idea and so much better than the cheesy large office store calendar I have posted on our garage door in the kitchen! I really want to try it out and hope that I'm creative enough to pull it off!

I found your blog in a roundabout way - this blog was featured on another blog where a recipe was featured from a blog I follow. Makes perfect sense, right? =)

I'm a new follower. You can check out my somewhat boring and not-yet-evolved blog at http://bje-life.blogspot.com if you'd like!

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

This is a super cute calendar! Love all the magnet you created. Thanks for linking up to last week's Catch a Glimpse party.

Michelle said...

Such a cute idea! Thanks for linking up at DIY Thrifty Thursday! I will be featuring your calendar on this week's DIY Thrifty Thursday, stop by and grab an "I was featured" button! :) Hope to see you again this week.
Michelle
www.thrifty101.blogspot.com

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

Love this calendar. What a great idea. :) I'm following from Fingerprints on the Fridge...would love to have you link this up at my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. :)

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

stephanie said...

i LOVE your idea....how did you attach your sheet metal to your frame and to the wall?? i also have a big piece and have been trying to figure out how to attach it..thanks so much :)...

Anonymous said...

your calendar is definitely crafty! I would love it if you'd share this at my party WorkShop Wednesday! It would be a nice addition to the party!

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

Just letting you know I'll be feature YOU this Thursday on my {take a look at you} post. Thank you so much for linking up to my party last week. Hope you join us this week at {wow me} wednesday. :)

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Janet said...

OMgooooosssh! I totally wanted to make this exact calendar for the summer! Only I went the lazy route and just used poster board! This looks SOOO cool! :)

www.iheartmygluegun.com

Melissa Taylor said...

this is such a fantastic idea --

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...